Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Viva Las Vegas


Webshots photo of Vegas Strip

Today hubby and I are catching a plane to Las Vegas. I dropped the dogs off at the ranch and they were happy to go play with their friends. I am all packed and ready to go. I checked the temperature and forecast for Las Vegas and it will be around 60 degrees. Even though we are going for a seminar, both Chris and I are looking at this as a little vacation. When we get back, we will have a ton of last minute things to do before opening the dental practice.



I am bringing the book titled The Good Earth by Nobel Prize-winning author Pearl S. Buck. The story is a graphic view of a China when the last emperor reigned and the vast political and social upheavals of the twentieth century were but distant rumblings for the ordinary people. It is about a farmer named Wang Lung and his selfless wife O-lan. I have already started reading the first few chapters. This book reads so smoothly. From the moment I started the first paragraph it was hard for me to put the book down. You just want to know what will happen next. The critic Bookman says, “To read this story of Wang Lung is to be slowly and deeply purified; and when the last page is finished it is as if some significant part of one's own days were over.”


The Yard

Here is a glimpse of my yard this November.


This is my dwarf peach tree with the leaves turning orange and starting to fall off.



This is a bush that came with the house and I moved it to a better location. When it blooms it has these cool red fluffy blooms. I am not sure what the plant is called but I really like it when it starts to bloom. It looks somewhat tropical.



Here is one of my rose bushes still reluctant to stop blooming.



Television
About 90% of the time there is nothing good on television to watch. There are a couple of shows that I do watch. I am a fan of survivor, although I have not been able to get into it this season. I do not like it when they start with all girl and all boy teams. I think it messes up the dynamics of the game. I am a fan of the Amazing Race. I believe the new season will be starting soon.



Another show I like is The OC. I know I am a dork but I look forward to this show every week. I guess it fulfills my need for a soap opera. The people are all beautiful and the majority of the characters are rich, what else could you want in a nighttime soap. There is so much more. The writers on this show are top notch. The dialect between the characters is very witty. If you would like to find out more about the show check out the official website here.


While I am gone

If you need to read something while I am gone. Check out Nathania’s blog Purls Beyond Price. She is currently in the real Italy for two weeks and is posting while she is there. Oh I soo want to go to Italy. Now I can live through her with her trip to Italy.

I plan to be back posting on Monday and tell you all about my trip.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The OC is my guilty pleasure, too. I was afraid the wit would take a back seat at the start of the new season with the show's popularity, but the premier last week was great. Glad to hear someone else feels the same way about it.
Laura
lauramarie.anewchapter.net

7:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Have a great time in Vegas!!! I hope you packed lots of knitting. :)

It's funny... Ei, from eiknit.typepad.com is leaving for Vegas, too.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home