Friday, February 04, 2005

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

I know this is a little early but this is something I am looking forward to. Disney is currently in production making the movie “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe”. It is due to release Christmas of 2005.


wallpaper by bluegeckoarts

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is the second book in a series called “The Chronicles of Narnia” by author C.S. Lewis.



C.S. Lewis wrote The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and it was first published back in 1950. Although it is the second book in the series of 7. It is the first one he wrote. After writing the 2nd 3rd, 4th , 5th and 6th, C.S. Lewis went back and wrote the first of the series titled “ The Magicians Nephew”. Then he went on to write the last book in the series titled “ The Last Battle”. Most people start the series with “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe”. It is the most popular of the seven.

I purchased the paper back box set of the entire series last year. I found mine at a local used book store. I had to be put on a waiting list because the series is so popular. I got a call back about two months later and a box set came in and I was next on the list. The set was a paperback set that looked brand new, and the books had not been read you could tell no one had opened them. I bought it for $7.50. Here is a picture of one of the illustrations on my box set.



My paperback box set was published by Harper Collins Publishers in 1994. Illustrations on the covers of all seven books were done by Leo and Diane Dillon and the art work is copyrighted in 1994. There are so many different published versions of the books. Since 1950 the books keep coming back. Now with the Movie due out in December of 2005, It looks like new publication is due out in May of 2005 and I am sure another one will be due out the time of the movie with the movie artwork on the book jackets.


I am going to start reading the series now, starting with “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe”. I plan to read them in the order they were written.



Artwork released to media advertising the movie

Here are a couple of cool links to find out more about the Movie and the Books

The One Ring Net Visits Narnia

Welcome to Narnia

Narnia Fans

Narnia Web

Virtual Narnia

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how fun! When I was in my early 20s I belonged to the Doubleday Book Club and purchased a boxed set of "The Chronicles of Narnia." I do believe I read them all in a week or less -- loved them! I'd stay up 'til 2 a.m., even when I had to be to work by 6 (and there was a commute!). Oh, what we can do when we're young... I hope you enjoy them!

Vicki
http://knitorious.typepad.com/knitorious

5:31 PM  
Blogger General Ginger said...

Heck yeah! I can't wait to see this movie either.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home