Thursday, October 14, 2004

Intarsia Excitement Dwindles

Remember how excited I was about starting the intarsia on the butter bear sweater. Well that excitement went away about two rows in to it. Intarsia is very frustrating and the more colors you have the harder it is. I think I am finally getting the hang of it. What a mess with all the strands of yarn hanging from the back. The one thing I learned is it is important to twist the yarns around each other when picking up a new color otherwise there will be a whole were the new color begins and the old one ends. I got much better at it as I went along. In addition, you need to read the chart correctly. I designed the chart of the bear myself and knowing what I know now, I might have made it a little easier. I think it helped me that I use to do cross-stitch. The part that makes my stomach turn is I have to do it again on the other arm. I told my husband that I might just have it on one arm and consider it like a patch. He said no you have to put it on the other arm also. What a stickler for the rules. I might consider using duplicate stitch for the second one. I think that when I do the Weasley sweater it will be easier to intarsia for the letter because there is only one color change. Here is my progress so far.




Here is the back.


6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Wow, your bear looks great! Congratulations on doing so well so far!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your sweater looks great! I have no idea what intarsia is, but you seem to be learning quickly.
Lauri

12:56 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Thanks so much for all of your encouragement. I think the more I do it the easier it will get.

The best way I can explain intarsia is when you knit using two or more colored strands of yarn by following a chart to come up with a design or a picture.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bear is looking great! I still can't get myself to do intarsia. Tried it once but hate the dangling ends and the holes where the colours change. Fairisle is easier to handle although it looks more difficult.
Siow Chin

7:28 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Hi Siow Chin
I really like the look of Fair Isle knitting and hope to learn it myself. I have been looking for a good book to teach myself. There does not seem to be many newer books on the subject.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Your bear is really cute. I think you've inspired me to give intarsia a try (although it does look really hard!).
Laura from Pieces of Life

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home